Washington County, Arkansas Genealogy
Guide to Washington County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Washington County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||October 17, 1828|
|Address|| Washington County Courthouse|
280 N College Ave #300
Fayetteville, AR 72701
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Washington County Courthouse
280 N College Ave #300
Fayetteville, AR 72701
County Clerk has marriage records from 1845 and
probate records from 1828; Clerk Circuit Court
has divorce, court and land records; City Libarian
has cemetery records
Washington County is Arkansas's seventeenth county, formed on October 17, 1828, and named for George Washington, the first President of the United States.
- 1828--Washington County was created 17 October 1828 from Crawford County. County seat: Fayetteville 
See an interactive map of Washington County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
Cemeteries of Washington County - Index and Transcriptions - Washington County ARGenWeb,
Combs Cemetery, Confederate Cemetery ], Fayetteville National Cemetery, Harrell Cemetery, Joyce Cemetery, Mount Salem Cemetery, Reese Cemetery 1, Reese Cemetery 2, Roberson Cemetery, Tharp Cemetery, Walker Cemetery, Whitehouse Cemetery, Zion Cemetry
- Penny Postcards from Washington County - USGenWeb Washington County Archives
- National Register of Historic Places for Washington County AR
- American Memory for Washington County - Library of Congress
- St. John's College of Arkansas - Washington County ARGenWeb
Gold Bug Historic Maps - reflect changes in county
Interactive Battle Map for Arkansas
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Arkansas, Washington County on page 191.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Arkansas section begins on page 439.]
- Fayetteville Roster Mexican War - Washington County ARGenWeb
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battles were fought in Washington County.
- November 28, 1862 = Cane Hill also known as Canehill, Boston Mountains
- December 7, 1862 = Prairie Grove also known as Fayetteville
- Map showing Civil War battles in Arkansas.
Civil War service men from Washington County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Washington County.
County Civil War Sources
- Confederate Soldiers Buried in Washington County - Washington County ARGenWeb
- Arkansas Civil War Biographies - Washington County ARGenWeb
- United Daughters of Confederacy - Prairie Grove, Arkansas
State Civil War Sources
- Northwest Arkansas Online
- Northwest Arkansas Times
- Fayetteville Free Weekly
- Springdale Morning News
- Obituary Records: 1868-2010 | Courtesy of the Fayetteville Public Library | This index covers three newspapers: Northwest Arkansas Times, Fayetteville Weekly Democrate and the Fayetteville Daily Democrate
School Records Index covers early 1900s and is courtesy of the Fayetteville Public Library
- Washington County Marriages - submitted to Washington County ARGenWeb
- Washington County Archive Marriage Record Search, 1845-1941
- Arkansas Marriage Records - GenWed.com
- 1830 Census - Tripod Mika Jackson
- 1840 Census - Tripod Mika Jackson
- 1850 Census with Index - USGenWeb Washington County Archives
- Obituaries submitted to Washington County ARGenWeb
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to Family History Centers
- Springdale Arkansas Jones Family Center Family History Center
- Springdale, Arkansas
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Washington County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 70.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August 2012).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August 2012).
- Allen, Desmond Walls. The Third Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union) (Arkansas Research: Conway, Arkansas,1987)