Washington County, Indiana Genealogy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Societies and Libraries
The Stevens Memorial Museum and Genealogy Library, 307 East Market Street, Salem, Indiana, 812-883-6495, is also home to the Washington County Historical Society (WCHS).
The name has recently changed to The John Hay Center which encompasses the entire organization including the Stevens Memorial Museum, the Pioneer Village, John Hay Birthplace, and the Depot Railroad Museum. The web site is www.johnhaycenter.org.
Stevens Museum has cemetery records books, histories, marriage and divorce records, and miscellaneous materials such as 1800-1902 Abstract of Wills, 1882-1999 Death Records and others.
WCHS publishes a newsletter that contains events, news articles, and books and other items for sale by the library. The library and museum are open 9AM to 5PM daily, except for Sunday, Monday, and holidays.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- John Hay Center and Washington County Historical Society, www.johnhaycenter.org
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).