Washington County, Indiana Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
For more about the city of Salem, see the Wikipedia article Salem, Indiana
Crown Hill Cemetery in Salem, Indiana is the largest cemetery in the county. Dating back to 1824, the cemetery has several thousand grave sites. The cemetery has an online database of burials on its web page at Crown Hill Cemetery.
Civil War service men from Washington County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Washington County.
- 5th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry (90th Regiment, Indiana Volunteers), Company E
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 16th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company B
- 18th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 22nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 24th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 38th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 66th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, B, F, H, and K
- 81st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 112th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 117th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Company G
- 137th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company K
- 144th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, and F
- 145th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
Societies and Libraries
The Stevens Memorial Museum and Genealogy Library, 307 East Market Street, Salem, Indiana, 812-883-6495, is also home to the Washington County Historical Society (WCHS).
WCHS publishes a newsletter that contains events, news articles, and books and other items for sale by the library. The library and museum are open 9AM to 5PM daily, except for Sunday, Monday, and holidays.
The name has recently changed to The John Hay Center which encompasses the entire organization including the Stevens Memorial Museum, the Pioneer Village, John Hay Birthplace, and the Depot Railroad Museum. The web site is www.johnhaycenter.org.
Stevens Museum has cemetery records books, histories, marriage and divorce records, and miscellaneous materials such as 1800-1902 Abstract of Wills, 1882-1999 Death Records and others.
- USGenWeb Project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for Washington county at this link.
- Family History Library Catalog
- John Hay Center and Washington County Historical Society,
- City of Salem, Indiana
- Washington County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).