Washington County, Utah Genealogy
- This article is about a county in southwestern part of Utah. For other uses, see Washington (disambiguation).
|Washington County, Utah|
Location in the state of Utah
Location of Utah in the U.S.
|Founded||March 3, 1853|
|County Seat||St. George|
|Address|| 197 East Tabernacle|
St. George, UT 84770
|Named for: George Washington|
- 1 Washington County Courthouse
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 References
Washington County Courthouse
87 North 200 East, 3rd Floor
St. George, Utah 84770
p: (435) 634-5728
f: (435) 656-3003
Washington County Utah
197 East Tabernacle
St. George, UT 84770
Clerk/Auditor's phone (435) 634-5712
Named for George Washington, the first President of the United States.
3 March 1852: Washington County was created from unorganized territory. 
Central City Cemetery
Pine Valley Cemetery
The 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 U.S. federal population schedules of Washington County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Utah Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in national indexes, try checking local indexes. Created by experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than nationwide indexes.
See Utah Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes. Also see the historical records at:FamilySearch
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Hurricane N.
- Hurricane S.
- La Verkin
- New Harmoney
- Pine Valley
- St. George
- St. George 1 (old)
- St. George 1 (new)
- St. George 2 (old)
- St. George 2 (new)
- St. George 3 (old)
- St. George 3 (new)
- St. George 4 (old)
- St. George 4 (new)
- St. George 5
- St. George 6
- St. George E.
- St. George W.
- Santa Clara
- Early, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Church records for Washington County can be found on film and are located at the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City. The film numbers, for each ward, can be locate through the Library Catalog at https://www.familysearch.org/. Or by refering to Jaussi, Laureen R., and Gloria D. Chaston. Register of Genealogical Society Call Numbers. 2 vols. Provo, Utah: Genealogy Tree, 1982. (FHL book 979.2258 A3j; fiche 6031507). These volumes contain the film numbers for many (but not all) membership and temple record films.
A History of Washington County online at Marriott Library Digital Collections.
Early migration routes to and from Washington County, Utah Genealogy for emigrant settlers included:
One major resouce for newspapers throughout Utah is the University of Utah's digitalnewspapers.org/ project "with more than 600,000 pages of digitized Utah historical newspapers." One newspaper from Washington County are included in this digital project, the Washington County News. Read more... about using Utah newspapers for your family history research.
Spectrum Newspaper www.thespectrum.com
Utah Death Certificates 1904 - 1956 -A free internet access to the 1904-1956 death certificates can be viewed with the Historial Records at https://www.familysearch.org/ . Utah requires a death certificate before a burial is completed. A death certificate may contain information as to the name of the deceased, date of death, and place of death, as well as the age, birthdate, parents, gender, marital status, spouse and place of residence.
Utah State Burial Index for deaths prior to 1904.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Bloomington Utah Family History Center
- Enterprise Utah Family History Center
- Ivins Utah Family History Center
- New Harmony Utah Family History Center
- St George Utah Green Valley Family History Center
- St George Utah Large Multi-stake Family History Center
- St George Utah Morningside Family History Center
- Washington Utah Buena Vista Family History Center
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Washington County, Utah Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- "The Pioneer Story: The Mormon Pioneer Trail" in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at http://lds.org/gospellibrary/pioneer/pioneerstory.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- "Jefferson Hunt" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Hunt (accessed 6 September 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Union Pacific Railroad" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_Railroad (accessed 14 September 2011).