Washoe County, Nevada Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Parent County
- 4 Boundary Changes
- 5 Record Loss
- 6 Places/Localities
- 7 Resources
- 8 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 9 Websites
- 10 References
25 November 1861: Washoe County was created as an original county. 
Archives and Libraries
Reno Family History Center
4751 Neil Road, Reno
Open 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
Washoe County Public Libraries
301 South Center Street, Reno, NV 89501
775-327-8300 | 775-327-8341
The following web sites have entries for people buried in Washoe County. None have complete lists:
- Find A Grave
- USGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project and the Washoe section
- Mountain View Cemetery, Reno BillionGraves
- The nearest veterans cemetery is the Northern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Fernley, Lyon Co., Nevada; many Washoe County veterans have been buried there since it was established in 1990.
In the Family History Library Catalog Place Search on FamilySearch, for Washoe, Nevada, look at the list of records for Cemeteries. Films can be sent to family history centers. Public libraries may have copies of the books or can obtain them through Interlibrary Loan.
US Vol. 21 page 4 - Washoe Cemetery, Washoe
Church History and Records
Church records are usually found in the towns rather than on the county level. Search the Family History Library Catalog - Place Search for the appropriate town in Washoe County.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Currently the 2nd Judicial District Court, State of Nevada, Washoe County, handles divorce and probate as well as other court matters.
Google Books has some books about the history and people in Washoe County, Nevada. Try various search terms, including the names of people. Books designated with "Full view" can be read online.
In the Family History Library Catalog Place Search on FamilySearch, for Washoe County, Nevada, look at the list of records for History. Films can be sent to family history centers. Public libraries may have copies of the books or can obtain them through Interlibrary Loan.
Land and Property
The Washoe County Recorder handles land records.
The grantor/grantee index on this web site allows searches of public records from 19 November 1991 to the present. Available images are "unofficial" copies only at $1.00 per page.
For official copies or questions about documents prior to 19 November 1991, call the Washoe County Recorder's office at 775-328-3660 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For historical maps, search the following free sites:
• Historic Map Works can view some images for free, though this is a commercial site
- California Trail 1844 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- Truckee (River) Trail 1844 followed the Truckee River west past Reno, Nevada to Donner Pass to Emigrant Gap to Sutter's Fort (Sacramento, California). The exact route varied over the years, the most used being the Nevada City Road and Auburn Emigrant Road combination.
- Applegate Trail 1846 (avoided the Forty Mile Desert) by leaving the Humboldt River in Nevada early at present-day Rye Reservoir, Nevada and passing through the Black Rock Desert to Fandango Pass past Goose Lake on to the Lost River and eventually the Willamette Valley in Oregon
- Beckwourth Trail 1850 left the Truckee Trail near present-day Sparks, Nevada going to Oroville and Marysville, California
- Nobles Road 1851 from the Applegate Trail at Rabbithole Springs in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada to Shasta City, California
Military History and Records
- Ancestry.com ($) has digital copies of several Reno Nevada newspapers.
- Genealogy.Bank.com ($) also has digital newspapers for Nevada.
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a collection of digitized Reno newspapers going back to 1870 online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
- The Nevada State Library and Archives has marriage licenses for Washoe County from 1862 to 1872. The original marriage certificate registers are in the county recorder's office and have not been microfilmed by the Family History Library.
- Western States Marriage Index 3,775 marriages from 13 Apr 1862 to 11 Jan 1919 are listed.
- Nevada, Marriage Index, 1956-2005
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Division of Museums and History / Nevada Historical Society
1650 North Virginia Street
Reno, NV 89503
Family History Centers
- Washoe County NV GenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- Nevada Genealogy Trails section for Washoe County
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 5 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "California Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Trail (accessed 5 August 2012).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Central Overland Route" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Overland_Route (accessed 4 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "First Transcontinental Railroad" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Transcontinental_Railroad (accessed 2 August 2011).