Waushara County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Waushara County Wisconsin genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Bible Records
- 4.2 Biography
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church History and Records
- 4.6 Court Records
- 4.7 Crime and Criminals
- 4.8 Directories
- 4.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 4.10 Gazetteers
- 4.11 Genealogy
- 4.12 History
- 4.13 Land and Property
- 4.14 Maps
- 4.15 Migration
- 4.16 Military History and Records
- 4.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 4.18 Newspapers
- 4.19 Obituaries
- 4.20 Periodicals
- 4.21 Probate Records
- 4.22 Repositories
- 4.23 Societies
- 4.24 Taxation
- 4.25 Vital Records
- 4.26 Voting Registers
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
Waushara County Courthouse
209 S Saint Marie Street
PO Box 488
Wautoma, WI 54982
Register of Deeds has birth and death
records from 1876, marriage and land records from 1852; Clerk Court has divorce
and court records; Register in Pro has
- Unknown - Wautoma, Wisconsin
Waushara County Court House Fire
April 30, 1928
Flames Destroy Waushara Court House
Loss of building at Wautoma put at near $75,000
Wild Rose and Red Granite fire trucks prevent damage from flying firebrands; chimney dynamited.
(special to the Tribune)
Wautoma, April 30 Flames, supposed to have originated in the basement when the furnace door blew open, between 5 and 6 o’clock this morning completely destroyed the Waushara County Courthouse in this city with a loss estimated at from $60,000 to $75,000. Though fire departments from Wild Rose and Red Granite responded to calls for help, they were unable to do anything further than to stand by and help extinguish roof fires starting on buildings nearby, ignited by sparks from the burning structure. An extremely high wind scattered firebrands over a large area and only sufficient fire fighting equipment kept the loss confined to the court house.
As the roof of the building collapsed, grave concern was felt over the tall brick chimney which swayed dangerously in the high wind. Citizens at once decided on the use of dynamite and the chimney was brought down with a crash. The brick walls of the court house collapsed shortly after.
Started Fire at Five O’Clock
John Hahn, janitor at the court house, started the fire in the furnace shortly after 5 o’clock as is his usual custom. He then went home to breakfast. Smoke bursting from the building was noticed at 5:45 by Wilbur Johnson, foreman at the county machine shop. He spread the alarm but the flames had gained such great headway that no time was left to carry much from the various county offices. District Attorney G. Jones rushed into his office and carried out a letter file and a typewriter. Nothing else was saved.
The Wautoma fire department, a Ford truck with pumper attachment, forced water from White River, two blocks distant, through two hose lines. The rest of the equipment was needed to combat small roof fires.
All records of the county were in the various vaults and late this afternoon they were found still too hot to open. It is believed however that the records are safe, as the vaults were fire proof.
The regular meeting of the Waushara county board was scheduled for tomorrow morning in the court house chambers. The meeting will be held in other quarters and it is expected that steps will be taken at once toward providing a new county building to replace the one destroyed.
Insurance totaling about $30,000 was carried, it is said.
The Waushara county court house was built in 1888 at an approximate cost of $10,000. Later additions and improvements to the extent of $45,000 were added.
Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune, Wisconsin Rapids, WI 30 Apr 1928
Places / Localities
- WIGenWeb Waushara County Cemeteries Summary of Online Cemetery Listings and Family History Library Films for Cemeteries
- WIGenWeb Waushara County Cemetery Listings - Many are only partial listings.
- Find a Grave Map of Waushara County Cemeteries
- Find a Grave List of Waushara County Cemeteries
Church History and Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Simple Map of Waushara County Townships
- Download PDF single page map of Waushara County
- Various Maps of Waushara County WIGenWeb
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- WIGenWeb Waushara County
- USGenWeb Archives Waushara County
- Linkpendium Waushara County
- Cyndi's List Wisconsin Page Scroll down to Waushara County Section, or Search for "Waushara County"
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 760 Wushara, Wisconsin
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).