Wayne County, Michigan Genealogy
Template:Michigan-stubUnited States > Michigan > Wayne County
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Wayne County Courthouse
201 City Court Bldg
Wayne, MI 48226
Phone: (313) 224-6262
Wayne County is the oldest county in the area known now as the State of Michigan and originally included areas that are counties in their own right. It includes the City of Detroit which was founded by the French on 24 July 1701 and which is now the state's largest.
1815--Wayne County was created 21 November 1815 as an original county. County seat: Detroit 
See the list of places on Wikipedia: Places in Wayne County, Michigan
- Maple Grove Cemetery, Westland BillionGraves
- Michigan Memorial Park, New Boston BillionGraves
- Mount Olivet Cemetery, Detroit BillionGraves
- Old Baptist Cemetery, Plymouth
- Presbyterian Cemetery, Plymouth
- Riverside Cemetery, Plymouth
- Sacred Heart Cemetery, Detroit BillionGraves
- Saint Hedwig Cemetery, Dearborn Heights BillionGraves
- Shearer Cemetery, Plymouth
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Detroit Dist
- Detroit E.
- Detroit S.
- Detroit W.
Fold3.com ($) has Detroit City Directories 1861-1923 available online.
City maps are often found in city directories.
Civil War service men from Wayne County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Wayne County.
- - 1st Regiment, Michigan Cavalry, Companies A, C, G, H, K, and Unassigned Company
- - 12th Regiment, Michigan Infantry, Unassigned Company
- - 17th Regiment, Michigan Infantry, Company F
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Palmer Park Michigan Family History Center (Detroit)
- Riverview Michigan Family History Center
- Westland Michigan Family History Center
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- "Anthony Wayne," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).