Weeton, Lancashire Genealogy
Weeton St Michael was created a district chapelry in 1846 from Kirkham, Lancashire Ancient Parish and in the Amounderness deanery of the Diocese of Manchester from 1847 onwards.
Other places in the parish include: Preese
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
"WEETON, with Preese, a township, and ecclesiastical [chapel], in the parish of Kirkham, union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 3¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from the town of Kirkham; the township containing 545 inhabitants. This place, in Domesday Book called Widetun, was early in the family of Walter. Theobald de Botiller, a descendant of Theobald Walter, held the manor in the 33rd of Henry III.; and in the reign of Edward III., James, son of Edmund le Botiller or Butler, Earl of Ormonde, was the lord. The manor was eventually held by Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Butler, Lord Ossory, who in 1673 was married to the 9th Earl of Derby, from whom it has descended to the present earl. The township comprises 2824 acres, of which 64 are common or waste land; the surface is rather elevated, and the soil tolerably good. Evidence of the former consequence of the place exists in its court baron, its bailiff, and its ancient fair for horned-cattle, and small wares, held on Trinity-Monday and the following day. The Preston and Wyre railway passes through. The township, together with Great and Little Plumpton, and Greenhalgh, form the ecclesiastical parish of Weeton: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkham. The tithes of Weeton township have been commuted for £386 payable to the Dean and Chapter of Christ-Church, Oxford, and £51. 19. 11. to the vicar. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was built in 1842, at a cost of £600, and is in the early English style, with a campanile turret. There is a Methodist place of worship; and adjacent to the church is a school. In Sept. 1846, a labourer, while cutting a trench near the Roman military way at Weeton, discovered a Roman-British celt of superior workmanship and size, very sharp at the edge, and made of bellmetal."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 494-498. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51384 Date accessed: 03 August 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.