Welland County, Ontario Genealogy
- 1 Getting Started
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1. What information do you wish to locate about your ancestor? To choose the sources you need to search first, please click on RECORD SELECTION TABLE: Ontario , which will help you decide.
2. From the above Record Selection Table, which sources do you wish to check in this county? To check the availability of your sources of interest as well as to check the websites that have them online, please click on this county's SOURCES LINKS TABLE .
3. Do you know the location that you wish to search in this county? If so, please check for some possible sources and some online information about your location of interest, by clicking on this county's POPULATED PLACES TABLE .
4. For further information regarding your sources of interest, see "4 Resources" ABOVE in the "CONTENTS" table and click on the source of interest.
Remember that you should always try to get an original copy of that source to verify information.
Please be aware that this is a growing Pilot program, with new information being added on a regular basis.
NOTE: If you would like to participate in contributing information into this WIKI program, please go to the "Create a New Page" section of this screen, and follow the guidelines.
WELCOME ABOARD! More sharers of information = more information available for everyone!
- The county was formed in 1845 from Lincoln County.
- Lincoln County was formed in 1792. In 1845,
- Southern portion of Lincoln County was separated to form Welland County.
- In some census and election records from the late 1800s, the townships of Pelham and Wainfleet were enumerated as part of Monck County. However, Monck never existed as a county in the political sense, but only as an electoral district.
- In 1970, Lincoln and Welland Counties were amalgamated to form the Regional Municipality of Niagara.
| Bertie Township
|| Crowland Township
| Humberstone Township
| Pelham Township
| Wainfleet Township
At this time, please read about Biographies in the Province of Ontario Resources - Biography.
At this time, please read about Cemeteries in the Province of Ontario Resources - Cemeteries .
- Cemeteries of Welland and Lincoln Counties Lists of cemeteries in Bertie, Crowland, Pelham, Thorold, Stamford, Humberstone, Wainfleet, and Willoughby of Welland County as well as Caistor, Clinton, Gainsborough, Grantham, Grimsby, and Niagara of Lincoln County.
- Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid A pointer database consisting of the surnames, cemetery name and location of over 3 Million interments from several thousand cemeteries, cairns, memorials, and cenotaphs in Ontario Canada.
- Ontario Census Project: Index to surnames in Welland County 1851-1901
- 1852 Census of Canada West, District 40, Welland County
- 1901 Ontario Census: Welland County searchable and indexed database of census records
- 1911 Ontario Census: Welland County searchable and indexed database of census records
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Willoughby Township, Welland County index of names in 1891
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Bertie Township, Welland County
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Crowland Township, Welland County
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Humberstone Township, Welland County
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Thorold Township, Welland County
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Pelham Township, Welland County
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Stamford Township, Welland County
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Wainfleet Township, Welland County
- 1880 Map of Willougyby Township, Welland County Land ownership boundaries and index of peoples.
- 1880 Map of Bertie Township, Welland County Land ownership boundaries and index of peoples.
- 1880 Map of Crowland Township, Welland County Land ownership boundaries and index of peoples.
- 1880 Map of Wainfleet Township, Welland County Land ownership boundaries and index of peoples.
- Ontario Marriage Registration About 75,000 marriages online.
- Welland Co. Marriages, 1858 (complete)
- Welland Co. Marriages, 1859 (complete)
- Welland Co. Marriages, 1860 (part)
- Welland Co. Marriages, 1862 (part)
- Welland Co. Marriages, 1864 (part)
- Welland Co. Marriages, 1865 (part)
- Welland Co. Marriages, 1866 (part)
- Welland Co. Marriages, 1867 (part)
- Ontario Birth Registration Searchable index of Ontario births from 1869+
Societies and Libraries
- Ontario Genealogical Society Provincial Index : 1,106,235 names in 277 megabytes of hypertext files.
- Ontario GenWeb Portal Website
- RootsWeb/Ancestry.com Message Boards: Welland County
- Niagara Genealogy: Welland Conty GenWeb
- Family History Library Catalog