Establishment and former town name(s)
Historical data relating to counties, cities, and towns in Massachusetts (Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1997), [FHL book 974.4 H2h 1997].
16 June 1763: Incorporated as a district by the name of Wellfleet, from part of Eastham. (Prov. Laws, Vol IV, p. 664
23 August 1775: Made a town, by general act under which districts became towns.
Archiac name: Punnonakanit
Section/Villages within the town: Big Chief Hill, Billinsgate Island (now gone), Briar Lane, Dog Town, Fresh Brook, Great Beach Hill, Great Island, Griffin Island, hen House Hill, Indian Neck, John Brown's Crossing, Lieutenant Island, Money Hill, Pamet Point, Physic Point, Pleasant Point, Pucker Town, South Wellfleet, Spring Valley, The Jungle.
Wikipedia: Wellfleet, Massachusetts
22 February 1837: Bounds between Wellfleet and Truro established.
26 April 1847: Part of Eastham annexed.
6 May 1887: Bounds between the tidewaters of Wellfleet and Eastham established.
Chapel of Saint James the Fisherman (1956)
Chequesset Neck Burial Ground (1716)
Chequesset Neck Rd
Duck Creek Cemetery (1740)
Cahoon Hollow Rd, next to Our Lady of Lourdes Cemetery
French Catholic Cemetery (1880)
Berrio Farm, Sandpiper Hill Rd
Lombard Family Cemetery (1859)
Bound Brook, Island Rd
Oak Dale Cemetery (1825)
Gross Hill Rd
Our Lady of Lourdes Roman Catholic Cemetery (1899)
Cahoon Hollow Rd
Pleasant Hill Cemetery (1819)
Gross Hill Rd
Robert Young Cemetery (1799)
Paine Hollow Rd
South Wellfleet Cemetery (1822)
State Hwy Rte. 6
Church History and Records
Societies, Libraries and Museums