Difference between revisions of "West Itchenor, Sussex Genealogy"
|Line 58:||Line 58:|
Revision as of 00:59, 25 October 2013
ITCHENOR, or ICHENOR, WEST (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of West Hampnett, hundred of Manhood, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 6½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Chichester. This parish is bounded on the north-west by Chichester harbour. The church is in the early English style of architecture.
West Itchenor is a village and civil parish in the Chichester district of West Sussex.
West Itchenor St Nicholas is an Ancient Parish; the history of the church is available at Sussex Parish Churches West Itchenor St Nicholas
The parish church of St Nicholas has been designateda grade I listed building British listed building
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records.
Link to the Family History Library Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Itchenor, West
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
See Sussex Census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A. A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 623-628. Adapted 16 May 2013.