West Tilbury, Essex Genealogy
West Tilbury or Tilbury (West) St James, is a parish in Orsett district, Essex; it is near Low-street railway station, and extends south-westward to the Thames at Tilbury Fort. It has a post-office under Romford.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Online images are available Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office for marriage registers for West Tibury St James. See also images for West Tilbury Methodist church baptisms.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241360.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Wilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, publ. London & Edinburgh: 1870. Date accessed: 15 May 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.