West Virginia Cemeteries
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 22:33, 22 May 2012 by Dianekay
- The West Virginia Historical Records Survey compiled the Cemetery Readings in West Virginia in 1939 and 1940. FHL films 250207–10 This is a large collection of cemetery descriptions, locations, and tombstone inscriptions. These records are described in the Family History Library Catalog under each county. The original documents are at the West Virginia University Library.
- The Family History Library has an extensive collection of cemetery records for West Virginia. The records are found under the following localities:
- WEST VIRGINIA – CEMETERIES
- WEST VIRGINIA, [COUNTY] - CEMETERIES
- WEST VIRGINIA, [COUNTY] - [TOWN] - CEMETERIES
- An important collection of cemetery records for Harrison County and some adjacent localities is also at the Family History Library FHL films 163926–31 The original records are part of the Guy W. Tetrick collection.
- The West Virginia State Archiveshas a partial card index to tombstone inscriptions.
- The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) collection (described in West Virginia Genealogy) also contains numerous cemetery records.
- "West Virginia Cemetery Readings, 1941" database on-line www.ancestry.com $
- "Grafton, West Virginia, Grafton National Cemetery, 1867-2010," database on-line www.ancestry.com $
- Find a Grave can be searched by the name of a person, family or cemetery. Usually gives birth and death dates and often with a picture of the tombstone. May also give obituaries, biographical information and names of family members.
- Interment.net cemetery-by-cemetery, alphabetical grave transcripts. Often incomplete lists.
- West Virginia Cemetery Transcriptions
- Billion Graves gravestone photos by name, surname, or cemetery, with GPS location. Can also filter or search by state, county, or even a specific cemetery if it has been photographed to any extent.
- Genealogy Spot
- West Virginia Cemetery Records
- Names in Stone search for graves alphabetically, or by cemetery; see grave photos and surrounding burials together on a map; flag records of interest to receive e-mail update notices.
- Tombstone Transcription Project (NYGenWeb) register of cemeteries in the process of being transcribed.