West Virginia Newspapers
|West Virginia Wiki Topics|
|West Virginia Background|
|Local Research Resources|
By 1863 nine newspapers were being published in West Virginia
Resources for West Virginia Newspapers
Libraries and Archives
The largest collections of newspapers are at the Archives and History Library and the West Virginia University Library. A guide to the collection at the West Virginia University Library is:
- Newspapers in the West Virginia University Library. Morgantown, West Virginia: West Virginia University Library, 1964. Not at the Family History Library.
The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
The Family History Library
The Family History Library has more than 1,100 microfilms of West Virginia newspapers including the Wheeling Register from 1863 to 1913. The Family History Library has the obituary portion in:
- Tetrick, Willis Guy. Obituaries from Newspapers, of the Tetrick collection which includes obituaries from northern West Virginia from 1929 to 1949. FHL films 163932-49 This is listed in the FamilySearch Catalog under WEST VIRGINIA, HARRISON, CLARKSBURG - OBITUARIES (see West Virginia Genealogy).
The library also has a collection of obituaries from 1931 and 1932 in:
- Tetrick, W. Guy. Obituaries from Newspapers of Northern West Virginia. 2 volumes. Clarksburg, West Virginia: W. G. Tetrick, 1933. FHL film 1033974 items 2-3; book 975.4 V4t; This is listed in the FamilySearch Catalog under WEST VIRGINIA - VITAL RECORDS.
Digital Issues Online
- NewspaperArchive ($) has a collection of digitized West Virginia newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries. It may be under the name Access NewspaperArchive.
- Genealogybank ($) has a collection of digitized West Virginia newspapers online.