Wetaskiwin Alberta Family History Centre
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
There is no cost to visit the Wetaskiwin Family History Center or to use the computers, equipment or free premium websites. It is open to anyone with an interest in genealogical research. Whether you are just beginning or are
(Please bring a USB stick if you want to copy vital information for your personal use.)
Our Centre is Fragrance Free! We have some staff and patrons who are very allergic. Please be considerate!
- 1 Center Information
- 2 OPEN HOURS:
- 3 Calendar and Events
- 4 CLASS SCHEDULE
- 5 CENTRE RESOURCES
Location & Map:
- 5410 36 Avenue
- Wetaskiwin, Alberta
- T9A 2R6
- (Link to map using Google )
- 1-780-352-3866 (during open hours)
- Outside of open hours, please call Lisa at 780-352-7881
***NEW HOURS FOR 2017***
- Wednesday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Wednesday: 6:15pm - 8:15pm
- Parking for the center is on the street at the front of the building - south side. Please use the center/main front door and knock loudly or ring buzzer or call 780-352-3866 during open hours.
- For appointments outside of our regular hours, please call Lisa at 780-352-7881 or email email@example.com
2017 Holiday/Closure Schedule:
- ***May 10 - Building CLOSED for Maintenance*** Sorry for any inconvenience!
- ***May 31 - Building CLOSED for Maintenance*** Sorry for any inconvenience!
- June 29 to September 5 - By appointment only - please call Lisa at 780-352-7881 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- December 14 to January 2 (2018)
Calendar and Events
- We are happy to give you a tour anytime! Come by to see the newly updated (Sept 2016) center. We redesigned our main computer/research room and added new rooms for microfilm viewing, webinars, a children's activity center and classroom.
Please be FRAGRANCE FREE! Staff and patrons have severe allergies.
- April 2017:
- Apr 5 - 1:30pm & 6:45pm - CLASS: Memories: Audio -Presenter: Anita Stark
- Apr 12 - Wiki, Wiki, Wiki - The Research Wiki -by Burke Jackson (34 min)
- Apr 19 - The Timeline Grid: An Easy Way to Track, Organize, and Use Your Research -by Kathryn Grant (54 min)
- Apr 26 - 10:45am & 6:45pm - CLASS: Attaching Sources in FamilySearch -Presenter: Claudia Malloch
- May 2017:
- May 3 - Deep Dive: The Family Tree Person Page -by Kathryn Grant (58 min)
- May 10 - ***CLOSED*** Start Growing Your Family Tree From Scratch -by James Tanner (60 min) - will reschedule for June!
- May 17 - The Ultimate Genealogical Brick Wall Buster -by James Tanner (60 min)
- May 24 - Deep Dive: FamilySearch.org -by Kathryn Grant (53 min)
- May 31 - Closed for Building Maintenance
If you have any requests for topics, please call Lisa at 780-352-7881.
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- We also have a number of microfilms on long term loan that can be viewed if the person that ordered them is not using them.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives FREE access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. (See Premium websites available in the Family History Center Services Portal ) e.g. Ancestry, Findmypast, MyHeritage, etc.
- Current list as of April 2017:
- The 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Alexander Street Press, American Civil War
- American Ancestors - Library Rights
- Ancestry - Institution Versions
- Findmypast - Institution Version
- Kinpoint - Premium
- MyHeritage - Library Edition
- Newspaper Archive
- Paper Trail
- ProQuest Obituary Listings
- Puzzilla - Premium Services
- Current list as of April 2017:
- All our computers access the free FamilySearch database which contains many millions of names linked into families.
Hardware and Equipment
- 6 computers (2 with free access to the premium subscription-based websites) (Please bring a USB stick so you can copy vital information for your personal use.)
- 1 printer / scanner / copier (upload memories directly to FamilySearch FamilyTree)
- 1 microfilm reader
- 1 microfiche reader
- Patrons may also use their own laptops/devices on our Wi-Fi network for personal use.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
- Wetaskiwin Branch, AGS (Alberta Genealogical Society) - http://www.abgenealogy.ca/wetaskiwin-branch
- City of Wetaskiwin Archives - https://www.wetaskiwin.ca/Index.aspx?NID=107
- Alberta Emigration and Immigration
- Alberta Churches, Archives, and Societies (National Institute)
- Alberta Vital Records (National Institute)
- Alberta, Canada Genealogy
- Alberta Probate Records
- Alberta Societies
- Alberta Museums, Libraries, and Archives (National Institute)
- Alberta Funeral Homes