Wetzel County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Wetzel County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Wetzel County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Wetzel County Courthouse
P O Box 156
New Martinsville, WV 26155-0156
- County Clerk has birth, marriage, death, and burial
- Probate, land and military records from 1846
- Clerk of Circuit Court has divorce and naturalization
See an interactive map of Wetzel County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Wetzel County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- New Martinsville
West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia Will Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1854-1970 - free.
- 1854-1863 - Virginia Marriages 1854-1863 (Ancestry) ($).
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Wetzel County, West Virginia. Page 746 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).