Whiteside County, Illinois Genealogy
|Whiteside County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 16, 1836|
|Address|| 200 E. Knox Street|
Morrison, IL 61270-2698
|Named for: Samuel Whiteside|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
|Beginning Dates for Whiteside County Records|
- 1836--Whiteside County was created 16 January 1836 from Jo Daviess and Henry Counties. County seat: Morrison 
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives alist of cemeteries in Whiteside County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Whiteside Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Whiteside County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Whiteside County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Genealogy Trails has a complete list of local cemeteries organized both by name and township.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census. Washington, D.C., 1841. FHL 973 X2pc 1840; FHL 2321; digital version at Google Books. [See Illinois, Whiteside County on page 188.]
- The City of Sterling has published a short history of Sterling.
- The Sterling-Rock Falls Historical Society has published a history of Sterling.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Whiteside County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Whiteside County.
- - 34th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies A, B, and K.
- - 52nd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company F.
- - 93rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company F.
- The Digital Archives of the Sterling Public Library has published more than 65,000 digital newspaper pages online for a number of local newspapers including Daily Gazette (2007), Evening Gazette (1887-1892), The Great Northwestern Fair (1884), Republican and Gazette (1861), Sauk Valley Sunday (2007), Sterling Daily Gazette (1917-1951), Sterling Evening Gazette (1894-1906), Sterling Gazette (1866-2007), Sterling Republican Gazette (1861-1865), Sterling Standard (1872-1928), The Sterling Times (1854), and Telegraph (2007).
- The Sterling Public Library has published an index to the Sterling Daily Gazette that includes "births, engagements, marriages, marriage licesnse, birthdays, wedding anniversaries, divorces, obituaries, retirements, and individual accomplishments."
An unspecified number of Whiteside County probate records are available in Illinois, Probate Records, 1819-1970.
The website of the Whiteside County Clerk explains how to order birth, marriage, and death records.
Societies and Libraries
- Family History Library Catalog
- Whiteside County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Whiteside County, Illinois (Genealogy Trails)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).