Whittle le Woods, Lancashire Genealogy
Whittle le Woods St John the Evangelist is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created by 1830 from Leyland Ancient Parish.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
Whittle-le-Woods is a village and civil parish of the Borough of Chorley in Lancashire, England. Residents of Whittle-le-Woods are called Whittlers.
Whittle-le-Woods lies on the A6, about three miles north of the town of Chorley, and to the south of the city of Preston. It is divided into two areas, the older part on the old coach road running through Waterhouse Green to Brindle and the more modern part on the A6 road where the church of St John is situated.
The name of this village comes from 'a white hill' with the 'le-woods' part added at a later date with a subsequent meaning 'A white hill in the woods'.
The Preston England Temple is the of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is situated in the parish. Fittingly it stands high above the surrounding area and is visible for several miles on nearby motorways.
WHITTLE-LE-WOODS, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Leyland parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles E by S of Leyland r. station, and 6 SSE of Preston; is a scattered place; and has a postal pillar-box under Preston, and a large brewery. The township comprises 1,357 acres. Real property, £6,576; of which £80 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,310; in 1861, 2,151. Houses, 443. The decrease of pop. was caused by the stoppage of a manufactory. The property is sub-divided. Shaw Hall is the seat of T. B. Crosse, Esq. Medicinal springs were discovered in 1845; they arise from coal-borings, at a depth of 265 feet; they are much frequented by invalids and pleasure parties; and they gave rise to the erection of baths, a public hall, and a spacious hotel.—The chapelry was constituted in 1830. Pop., 2,856. Houses, 587. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Leyland. The church was built in 1823.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870)
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Index for the Census may be searched at FamilySearch Historical Records
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.