Wingfield, Suffolk Genealogy
Parish HistoryWINGFLELD, a pleasant but widely scattered village, with several neat houses, 2 miles N. of Stradbroke, 4 miles S. by W.of Harleston, and 7 miles E. by N. of Eye, has in its parish 654 souls, and 2442a. 3r. 38p. of fertile land, mostly free and partly copyhold, and lying in the manors of Chickering-with-Wingfield, of which Sir E. C. Kerrison is lord; and Wingfield Castle and Hall, of which Lord Berners is lord. The greater part of the soil belongs to other proprietors, the largest of whom are Sir R. S. Adair, J. Wright, Esq., Rev. S. Cook, Mrs. L. Walker, Mrs A. Cotton, Robt. Butcher, Esq., Rev. A. Cooper, and the Rev. R. A. Arnold. Early in the 14th century, Richard de Brews was seated at Wingfield, and he obtained a grant for a fair here in 1328. The Wingfields, who took their name from the parish, had a seat here from the time of the Norman Conquest till their removal to Letheringham and Easton, in the 14th. century..... At the south-east corner of the church-yard, a College was erected about 1362, by the executors of Sir John Wingfield, for a provost or master, and nine priests. It was dedicated to St Mary, St. John the Baptist, and St. Andrew, and was valued at £50. 3s. 5d. at the suppression, after which it was granted by Edward VI. to the Bishop of Norwich. It was a quadrangular building, and some remains of its western side may still be seen in the farm-house now standing on its site. The Church (St. Andrew) which was appropriated to the College, is a large and handsome structure, with a tower and six bells.... William White, 1855, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Suffolk, page 402-404
|Project members: Refer to Suffolk Talk Page for details about developing this page.|
If you live in Suffolk then you will have access to a variety of resources; however, for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers. Refer to Wingfield and Suffolk in the Family History Library Catalog for available records.
The Parish Registers begin in 1538. They can be view at the Suffolk Record Office. A copy of the registers from 1538 to 1900 can be purchased from the Suffolk Record Office. For pre 1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Hoxne Deanry, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. Parish Chest records are considerable for Wingfield. See Suffolk Church Record for further details.
There are census records available for Wingfield from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Wingfield, England, Census in the library catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in the county.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details.
Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Wingfield was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District. Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Suffolk Gazetteers and Directories from 1839 to 1909 - Suffolk Gazetteers and directories provide a brief history and description of each parish and lists principal residents. They mention the farmers and tradesman in each parish and the nearest market towns among other things of interest.
- National Gazetteers provide a brief description of each place
- England Jurisdictions 1851 maps - see parish in context with surrounding parishes also determine various ecclesiastical and civil jurisdictions for this parish
- Wingfield on Google maps - see lay of the land as it is today
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 613-618.