Difference between revisions of "Winston County, Alabama Genealogy"
|Line 89:||Line 89:|
== Resources ==
== Resources ==
==== Cemeteries ====
==== Census ====
==== Census ====
Revision as of 23:27, 15 August 2012
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Winston County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||February 12, 1850|
|County Seat||Double Springs|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County CourthouseWinston County Courthouse
195 Main Street
Double Springs, AL 35553
Phone: (205) 489-5533
Pro Judge has marriage, probate, land records from 1891;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and Court Records 
Winston County was formed as Hancock County from Walker County on 12 February 1850, renamed Winston County on 22 January 1858.
"The Free State of Winston is a popular name given to Civil War-era Winston County, as a reflection of the county's generally pro-Union stance and resistance to Confederate rule during the war." The name comes from a series of resolutions made by unionists on 4 July 1861 at Looney's tavern. The resolutions stated that Alabama did not have the right to secede, but if it did, then Winston County had the right to secede from Alabama.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Some Winston County cemeteries are included in Alabama Cemetery Records Vol. 6 at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
Land and Property
To place a grant or deed on a map within context of Winston County, Alabama Genealogy see:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Winston County, Alabama: with Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More. Norman, Okla.: Arphax Pub. Co., 2008. This is a definitive work and can be used as an index to land grants. Digital version at HistoryGeo.com ($). Website includes free surname index. FHL Book 976.174 E7bg.
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Winston County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Winston County p. 40. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "Free State of Winston," Encyclopedia of Alabama (http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org : accessed 19 September 2011); citing Donald B. Dodd and Amy Bartlett-Dodd, The Free State of Winston (Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia Publishing, 2000).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).