Winston County, Mississippi Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 22:44, 30 November 2012 by Ltlbites
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1833--Winston County was created 23 December 1833 from the Choctaw Cession.
County seat: Louisville 
For tips on accessing Winston County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- Civil War service men from Winston County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Winston County.
- - 5th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company D - New Prospect Greys
- Company E - Pettus Rebels
- Company F - Winston Rifles
- - Perrin's Battalion, Mississippi State Cavalry
- Company C - Metts’ Company
- Company D - Perkins’ Company
- - 11th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company D - Metts’ Company
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Winston County, Mississippi page 383, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).