A source for detailed Wisconsin maps is the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. The collection includes land ownership maps, survey maps, aerial maps, state and county atlases, fire insurance maps, and topographical maps.
One of the largest collections of maps for the entire United States is that of the American Geographical Society. These records are now at:
University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee
P.O. Box 413
2200 E. Kenwood Blvd.
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413
The collection has maps of Milwaukee for 1849, 1857, 1869, 1875, 1886, 1890, 1892, and 1898:
- Ward Maps of United States Cities . . . Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, 1975? (FHL film 1377700; fiche 6016675–682.)
The Family History Library has a few Wisconsin maps dating from 1855 and a good collection of county histories and atlases. It also has land ownership and geological survey maps for Wisconsin. See the United States Research Outline(30972) for detailed information. Several helpful atlases are:
- Robinson, Arthur, and Jerry B. Culver. Atlas of Wisconsin: General Maps and Gazetteers. Madison, Wisconsin: University of Wisconsin Press, 1974. (FHL book Q977.5 E3v.) This atlas includes an excellent gazetteer.
- Snyder, Van Vechten & Co. Historical Atlas of Wisconsin . . . Janesville, Wisconsin: Origins, 1995. (FHL book Q 977.5 E7s.) This is a reprint of the 1878 publication and contains useful maps for each county.
- Walling, H. F. Atlas of the State of Wisconsin. Detroit, Wisconsin: Walling, Tackabury and Co., 1876. (FHL film 1036174, item 2.)
- DeLorme Mapping Company. Wisconsin Atlas & Gazetteer. Freeport, Maine: DeLorme Mapping Co., 1988. (FHL book Q 977.5 E7d.)
- Michael Fox's Maps and Atlases Showing Land Ownership in Wisconsin (Madison, Wisconsin: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1978) lists maps available at the State Historical Society of Wisconsin (not at the Family History Library).
To see changes in county boundaries, use:
- Long, John H., ed. Historical Atlas and Chronology of County Boundaries, 1788–1980'. Scale: 1:633,600. Vols. 1–5. Boston, Massachusetts: G.K. Hall, 1984. (FHL 973 E7hL v. 1–5; fiche 6051426–30.) Maps show when and where each county changed boundaries. Maps for Wisconsin are in volume 3 (fiche 6051428).
Printable maps are also available from the National Atlas of the United States -- http://nationalatlas.gov/printable.html