Difference between revisions of "Wise County, Texas Genealogy"
(added history intro)
|Line 66:||Line 66:|
==== Land ====
==== Land ====
==== Local Histories
==== Local Histories ====
==== Maps ====
==== Maps ====
Revision as of 01:57, 27 March 2013
Guide to Wise County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Wise County Courthouse
200 North Trinity Street PO Box 359
Decatur, Texas 76234-0359
County Clerk has birth and death records
from 1903, marriage records from 1881,
probate records from 1882, land records
from 1852 and court records
The first white settler arrived in 1854 and the first public school opened in 1855.
Just northwest of Fort Worth and Dallas, in the 1860's, "Wise County had more Indian attacks & kidnappings than any other county in Texas".
In the early days of Wise County there were very large cattle ranches and homestead farms. Starting in the 1880's, coal was mined near the town of Bridgeport. Later limestone rock crushers and gas production became important.
1881--Courthouse and many county records were destroyed by fire.
Places / Localities
Alvord | Aurora | Balsora | Boonsville | Boyd | Bridgeport | Chico | Cottondale | Decatur | Greenwood | Lake Bridgeport | New Fairview | Newark | Paradise |Rhome | Runaway Bay | Slidell
- Alphabetical Headstone Listings for Wise County, 1850-2010 31,537 Names with headstone pictures online
- Wise County Cemetery Location, Maps & Information 101 Cemeteries in Wise County
- 1860-1930 -- Wise County Census Images LARGE images of all year's pages
- 1860 -- 1860 Census Transcription All of Wise County Transcribed with Additional Information, 3,034 names with index
- 1870-1910 -- Wise County Census Indexes of Last Names Only
- 1900-1910 -- Wise County 1900 & 1910 Census Transcriptions & Index of Names, Southwest corner of Wise County only
- 1920 -- 1920 Census All of Wise County Transcribed with Additional Information, 23,117 names with index
- 1930 -- 1930 Census All of Wise County Transcribed with Additional Information, 19,202 names with index (population was less)
Local histories are available for Wise County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site.
- Wise County Messenger
- Bridgeport Index Newspaper 1910-1975 15,377 images of pages with names indexed.
|1960-1989 (most 1970s)||Obituaries From Local Papers||4,160 Newspaper clippings online|
|1910-1975 (only a few in older years)||Whole Newspaper Pages - The Bridgeport Index||Most years have names indexes|
|1976-2008||Obituaries From The Bridgeport Index||7,106 Newspaper clippings online|
|2000-2009||Obituary Text From The Wise County Messenger||5,197 Obituaries with complete text|
|Recent||The Wise County Messenger||Link - Decatur paper obituaries|
|Recent||The Bridgeport Index||Link - Bridgeport paper obituaries|
- Old School Pictures & Yearbooks 1900s-1970s Indexed class pictures & yearbooks.
- Wise County Recorded Births & Birth Certificates, 1864-1933 Data of 19,202 births with 9,500 certificates online.
- Birth,Statistics and Announcements 1926-2009 No longer have online. Sent on request.
- Wise County Messenger Newspaper Birth announcements 2003-present online
Marriages and Divorces
- Wise County Marriages 1881-1945 Bride & Groom & Date of Marriage,14,976 Listings
- Wise County Marriages 1866-2001 Bride & Groom & Date of Marriage,10,527 Listings
- Wedding Announcements from The Wise County Messenger Newspaper 2000-2009 1,520 with Complete Text
- Wise County Divorces 1968-2001 Divorces With Marriage Dates & Number of Children, 5,904 Records
- Wise County Death Certificates Online - 1903-1966 7,904 images online
- Wise County Recorded Deaths - 1903-1999 11,324 deaths listed
- Wise County Funeral Records in Alphabetical Order 1914-2001, 19,000 Pages with older images online
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images] Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- Wise County Historical Society - Museum in Decatur
- Bridgeport Historical Society - Bridgeport History & Museum
- Paradise Historical Society - Links to Paradise Information
Family History Centers
- Wise County on the Web - Many local links
- Lake Bridgeport - Pictures & links to information
- Jones Family Funeral Home, Bridgeport Texas
- Hawkins Funeral Homes, Decatur, Bridgeport & Boyd
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Wise County, Texas. Page 676 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).