Wise County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Websites
- 6 References
The first white settler arrived in 1854 and the first public school opened in 1855.
Just northwest of Fort Worth and Dallas, in the 1860's, "Wise County had more Indian attacks & kidnappings than any other county in Texas".
In the early days of Wise County there were very large cattle ranches and homestead farms. Starting in the 1880's, coal was mined near the town of Bridgeport. Later limestone rock crushers and gas production became important.
1881--Courthouse and many county records were destroyed by fire.
Places / Localities
Alvord | Aurora | Balsora | Boonsville | Boyd | Bridgeport | Chico | Cottondale | Decatur | Greenwood |
Lake Bridgeport | New Fairview | Newark | Paradise | Rhome | Runaway Bay | Slidell
|1864-1933||Recorded Births & Birth Certificates||Data of 19,202 births with 9,500 certificates online.|
|1926-2009||Birth Statistics and Announcements||We no longer have online. Sent on request.|
|2003-present||Wise County Messenger Newspaper||Birth announcements online|
|1881-1945||Bride & Groom & Date of Marriage||14,976 Listings|
|1966-2001||Bride & Groom & Date of Marriage||10,527 Listings|
|2000-2009||Wedding Announcements from The Wise County Messenger Newspaper||1,520 With Complete Text|
|1968-2001||Divorces With Marriage Dates & Number of Children||5,904 Records|
|1860-1930||Images of Actual Census Pages||LARGE images of all year's pages|
|1860||All of Wise County Transcribed with Additional Information||3,034 names with index|
|1870-1910||Indexes of Last Names Only|| |
|1900&1910||Transcriptions & Index of Names||Southwest corner of Wise County only|
|1920||All of Wise County Transcribed with Additional Information||23,117 names with index|
|1930||All of Wise County Transcribed with Additional Information||19,202 names with index (population was less)|
|1900-1970s||Old School Pictures & Yearbooks||Indexed class pictures & yearbooks|
|1910-1975||Bridgeport Index Newspaper||15,377 images of pages with names indexed|
|1850-2010||Alphabetical Headstone Listings for Whole County||31,537 Names with headstone pictures online|
|2002||Cemetery Location, Maps & Inforamtion||101 Cemeteries in Wise County|
Funeral Home Records
|1914-2001||Records in Alphabetical Order||19,000 Pages with older images online|
|Recent||Jones Family Funeral Home||Link - Bridgeport Texas|
|Recent||Hawkins Funeral Homes||Link - Decatur, Bridgeport & Boyd|
Death Certificates & Recorded Deaths
|1903-1966||Death Certificates Online||7,904 Images online|
|1903-1999||Wise County Recorded Deaths||11,324 Listed|
|1960-1989 (most 1970s)||Obituaries From Local Papers||4,160 Newspaper clippings online|
|1910-1975 (only a few in older years)||Whole Newspaper Pages - The Bridgeport Index||Most years have names indexes|
|1976-2008||Obituaries From The Bridgeport Index||7,106 Newspaper clippings online|
|2000-2009||Obituary Text From The Wise County Messenger||5,197 Obituaries with complete text|
|Recent||The Wise County Messenger||Link - Decatur paper obituaries|
|Recent||The Bridgeport Index||Link - Bridgeport paper obituaries|
- Wise County on the Web - Many local links
- Wise County Historical Society - Museum in Decatur
- Bridgeport Historical Society - Bridgeport History & Museum
- Paradise Historical Society - Links to Paradise Information
- Lake Bridgeport - Pictures & links to information
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images] Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).