Wolfhalden parish, Appenzell, Switzerland Genealogy
In 1650, Heiden and Wolfhalden couldn't agree about the control over the church. This led to the creation of a church in each village in 1652, making them independent.
Locations within Wolfhalden
Wolfhalden was established as a Reformed protestant parish in 1652 from the parishes of Grub and Rheineck. Records held by the Family History Library include baptisms (Taufen), marriages (Heiraten), and burials (Toten) between 1652-1875.
Family book records were established in 1830 and contain records reaching into the 1700s.
(see here for article describing Swiss compiled genealogies)
Künzler family, by Julius Billeter (FHL Film 1,183,714)
Lutz family, by Julius Billeter (FHL Film 127,973; see also FHL Film 193,478)
Niederer family, by Julius Billeter (FHL Film 127,965; see also FHL Film 193,480)
Sturzenegger family, by Julius Billeter (FHL Film 193,485)
Tobler family, by Julius Billeter (FHL Film 128,006; see also FHL Film 193,485 and 193,486)
Tobler family, by Julius Billeter (FHL Film 962,837; see also FHL Film 193,485 and 193,486)
Walser family, by Julius Billeter (FHL Film 193,486)
Civil registration began in 1876. Wolfhalden belongs to the Vorderland Appenzell civil registration district. Records are only available in Switzerland. For further information, contact the civil registry office at:
Zivilstandsamt Vorderland Appenzell Ausserrhoden
St. Gallerstrasse 9
CH - 9038 Rehetobel
Tel: +41 71 878 70 20
The following surnames held citizenship in Wolfhalden prior to 1875:
Societies and Libraries
Cantonal Archive of Appenzell-Ausserrhoden (in German)
Registry of Appenzell-Ausserrhoden, by Mario von Moos