Woodford County, Illinois Genealogy
|Woodford County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 27, 1841|
|Address|| 115 N. Main, Suite 202|
Eureka, IL 61530
|Named for: Woodford County, Kentucky|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Large numbers of Kentuckians settled in frontier Woodford County, Illinois. The name of the county (Woodford) is reminiscent of Woodford County, Kentucky - the previous residence of many pioneer settlers.
- 1841--Woodford County was created 27 February 1841 from Tazewell and McLean Counties. County seat: Eureka 
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Woodford County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Woodford Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Woodford County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Woodford County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
Woodford County, El Paso and Metamora 1876 from the David Rumsey Map Collection.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Woodford County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Woodford County.
- - 51st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company D.
- - 77th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies C, F, and H.
- - 85th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company E.
- - 86th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company A.
Societies and Libraries
- Hardin County Fact Sheet, Illinois State Archives, accessed May 28, 2011.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).