To get started in American Indian Research
Ancestral Homeland: St. Lawrence Valley, and Canada
Various Spellings: Wyandot, Wyandotte, Wiandot
64700 East Highway 60
Wyandotte, OK 74370
- Wyandotte Nation Official Website
Additional References to the History of the Tribe
Additional details are given in John Swanton's The Indian Tribes of North America.
Ohio History Central article on the Wyandot Indians
- 1752: smallpox epedimic
- 1832,1836, and 1842 Removed from Ohio
- 1843: Wyandot removal to Kansas, They were the last Indian tribe to leave Ohio.
- 1857: moved to Oklahoma
- 1888 to 1890: land were allotted
- 1959: Wyandot Tribe of Oklahoma terminated, Tribal membership 1,157, Tribal land (Acres) 94.36
- 1978: regained federal recognition
After removal to Kansas the tribe was under the jurisdiction of Wyandot Subagency 1843-51, Kansas Agency 1851-55, Shawnee Agency 1855-63, Delaware Agency 1863-69, Wyandot Agency 1870-72, The St. Louis Superintendency and the Central Superintendency.
A track of land set aside for occupation and use by American Indians. From the mid-1800s, the official policy of the United States government toward the American Indian was to confine each tribe to a specific parcel of land called a reservation. Agencies were established on or near each reservation. A government representative, usually called an agent (or superintendent) was assigned to each agency. Their duties included maintaining the peace, making payments to the Native Americans based on the stipulations of the treaties with each tribe, and providing a means of communication between the native population and the federal government.
Sometimes, a single agency had jurisdiction over more than one reservation. And sometimes, if the tribal population and land area required it, an agency may have included sub-agencies.
The boundaries of reservations, over time, have changed. Usually, that means the reservations have been reduced in size. Sometimes, especially during the later policy of "termination," the official status of reservations was ended altogether.
The following list of reservations has been compiled from the National Atlas of the United States of America, the Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America, and other sources. There are no current federally-recognized reservations in Illinois.
Bland Cemetery, Wyandotte, Oklahoma
Huron Indian Cemetery, Kansas City, Kansas, as surveyed in 1892
1843 Muster Roll of Wyandot Indians who left Upper Sandusky, Ohio in 1843
1870 Tribal Roll of the Wyandot in Kansas and elsewhere.
1874 Voter List by clan
1785-1843 -- See tribal web site for details.
- 1785 January 21, at Fort McIntosh
- 1789 January 9, at Fort Harmer
- 1795 August 3, at Greenville
- 1803August 7, at Vincennes, with the Eel River
- 1805 July 4, at Fort Industry
- 1807 November 17, at Detroit, with the Ottawa
- 1808 November 25, at Brownstown, with the Chippewa, Ect.,
- 1814 July 22, at Greenville
- 1815 September 8, at Spring Wells
- 1817 September 29, on the Miami
- 1832 January 19, at St. Mary's
- 1836 April 23,
- 1842 March 17, at upper Sandusky
- 1843 December 14, with the Delawares
- 1850 April 1, at Washington
- 1855 January 31, at Washington
- 1867:February 3,with the Seneca, Mixed Seneca and Shwanee, Quapaw, Etc.,
Important Web Sites
- National Atlas of the United States of America -- Federal Lands and Indian Reservations Available online.
- Isaacs. Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices, Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations, Appendix E, Indian Reservations. Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991.(Family History Library book 973 E5)
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published