Wyman Township, Maine
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 19:10, 5 December 2013 by Ccsmith
- Not to be confused with pre-1802 Wyman's Plantation (Kennebec Co.) now Vienna, Maine.
plantations, and now is unorganized territory (a township) on the central east side of Franklin County, Maine. It was first organized as part of Bloomfield Plantation in 1841. Then it became part of the sprawling Jackson Plantation in 1845. Years later, a part of Jackson Plantation (Eustis) seceded in 1857. Two parts of Jackson were set off as Coplin and Lang plantations in 1866, leaving what later became Wyman as the only remaining piece of the Jackson Plantation.  Apparently, it carried the Jackson Plantation name and status until 1895 when Jackson went extinct, and Wyman Township was created. Part of Wyman Township was used to create part of Carrabasset Valley in 1971.
Adjacent towns: Franklin Co.: Carrabassett Valley | Coplin Plantation | Eustis | Somerset Co.: Bigelow Township | Dead River Township
- Coplin Plantation and Wyman Township apparently were also known as Bloomfield Plantation before they became part of Jackson Plantation according to Bloomfield in Miscellaneous Municipal Records Filed with the State section of Maine Archive Interactive (accessed 21 September 2013).
- Eustis, Franklin County, Maine in Maine Genealogy (accessed 24 June 2013).
- Coplin Plantation, Franklin County, Maine in Maine Genealogy (accessed 24 June 2013).
- Lang Township, Franklin County, Maine in Maine Genealogy (accessed 24 June 2013).
- Jackson Plantation in the "Maine Towns Legal Histories dates of incorporation, name and boundaries changes" section of Maine Archive Interactive (accessed 22 September 2013). States that Jackson Plantation organization end date was 11-13-1895.
- Maine Historical Records Survey Project, Division of Professional and Service Projects, Work Projects Administration, Counties, Cities, Towns, and Plantations of Maine: a Handbook of Incorporations, Dissolutions, and Boundary Changes (Portland, Maine: The Survey, 1940), 68, 71, 81, and 218 (digital pp. 77, 80, 90, and 227). A digital version is available via a link in the FHL Catalog.