Wyoming Church Records
Most records are kept with the local congregation, although some may have been transferred to other repositories, such as a church archives, a local genealogical or historical society, or a college library.
For help locating Wyoming church records see:
- A Directory of Church and Religious Organizations in the State of Wyoming. Cheyenne, Wyoming: Historical Records Survey, 1939. FHL Collection book 978.7 K22h; film 908039 item 5
- Guide to Vital Statistics Records in Wyoming: Church Archives. Cheyenne, Wyoming: Historical Records Survey, 1942. FHL Collection 978.7 K23g
The Family History Library has very few original Wyoming church records. Many denominations have collected their records into central repositories. You can write to the following to learn where their records are located:
14 Beacon Street
Boston, MA 02108
Phone: (617) 523-0470
Fax: (617) 523-0470
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons)
Early, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Church records for Wyoming Wards and Branches can be found on film and are located at the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City. The film numbers, for each ward, can be locate through the Family History Library Catalog . Or by refering to Jaussi, Laureen R., and Gloria D. Chaston. Register of Genealogical Society Call Numbers. 2 vols. Provo, Utah: Genealogy Tree, 1982. (FHL book 979.2258 A3j; fiche 6031507). These volumes contain the film numbers for many (but not all) membership and temple record films.
LDS Church Archives
50 East North Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-3400
Phone: (801) 240-2272
Fax: (801) 240-1845
United Methodist Archives Center
Drew University Library
P.O. Box 127
Madison, NJ 07940
Phone: (201) 408-3189
Fax: (201) 408-3909
Presbyterian Historical Society
United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.
425 Lombard Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
The Family History Library has microfilmed many of the records in the archives of the Presbyterian Historical Society. Others are described in:
- Inventory of the Church Archives of Wyoming Presbyterian Churches: 1968 Arrangement with Indexes. n.p.: Historical Records Survey, n.d. FHL Collection 906119
Diocese of Cheyenne
2121 Capitol Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82001
Phone: (307) 638-1530
Fax: (307) 637-7936
The diocese includes the counties of: Albany, Big Horn, Campbell, Carbon, Converse, Crook, Fremont, Goshen, Hot Springs, Johnson, Laramie, Lincoln, Natrona, Niobrara, Park, Platte, Sheridan, Sweetwater, Sublette, Teton, Uinta, Washakie and Weston.
- Sydney E. Ahlstrom, A Religious History of the American People (New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 1972). FHL Book 973 K2ah.
- Map of the Roman Catholic Dioceses in the United States of America, Office of Catholic Schools Diocese of Columbus, accessed 3 Nov 2010.