Wyresdale, Lancashire Genealogy
OVER WYERSDALE, a township-chapelry in Lancaster parish, Lancashire; on the river Wyre, 7 miles southeast of Lancaster. The chapel was built by the year 1723.
There are Quaker and Wesleyan chapels, and an endowed school.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church of England
Over Wyresdale chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Lancaster to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|OVER-WYRESDALE CHRIST CHURCH Chapelry (1724) Indexes|
|LANCASTER ST MARY'S PARISH (1599) Indexes (ancient parish containing Over Wyresdale)|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Over Wyresdale and comprising the whole ancient parish of Lancaster to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the LANCASTER ST MARY PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306936.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870)