File:Chief Joseph Horseback 1903.jpgFamilySearch wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 March 21
Online Meeting for Utah County Experimental Page
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 6804, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name). (Further instructions under the label Join the meeting)
Attending the meeting
Wilma Atkins, Maren Jeppsen, Lois Owen, James Tanner, Marilyn Markham, Liz Snow, Jana Stokes and Joy Bogar.
Anyone new to this meeting?
- Marilyn Markham (happy to have back)
- Maren Jeppsen (brings great expertise)
- Patsy Hendrickson for taking minutes March 7 - Thank YOU!
- LOIS (with said helper) linked FHL to all 29 counties of Utah! Thank YOU!
- LIZ linked all 29 Utah Counties with the "Red Book" - except Washington! Thank YOU!
- James completed recording over 10,000 graves in Arizona that have never been documented. Thank YOU!
News and Events
Review from March 14th
- UGA Virtual Chapter, every 3rd Thursday, 7:00 p.m. (Mountain)
- Saturday, June 9th, a Family History Fair will be held in Murray. Sponsored by FamilySearch? Details will follow.
- July 31-Aug 3 BYU Family HistoryConference
- Saturday, August 18th UGA Regional Conference in Cedar City. Sponsored by Cedar City Chapter, UGA
- Friday and Saturday, September 21 and 22, UGA Regional Conference, Larry H. Miller Campus of Salt Lake Community College
Review of last meeting
- March 14 minutes
- Tip Bank in progress - thinking that a different tip would be placed on each county and the complete bank of all the tips would be linked for all 29 counties
- Newspapers - Nationally digitized newspapers difficult to link to county articles
- LOC published a history of each county
- Wilma - excel spreadsheet documents a list of places to go to find LOC Library News Banks..
- Newspaper Obituaries may be found in neighboring counties
- Obituary project in 1978 - almost index of obituaries found before 1960
PROJECTS: Where has the community found obits (actively looking for Obits)
- Libraries - need a format page - decide on the following
- List all possible libraries *List only libraries that have some collections *List affiliate libraries where patrons can order from FHL
- Photo Contest - UGA willing to donate a membership to the top three winners of Photos - 1st, 2nd and 3rd places - which will be determined by a drawing of all photos selected - 1 photo for each of the 29 counties. Photo....TBC One rule to add to Photo Contest - must create a user page....
- Tables at the top of each county
- Decided (I think) to keep the wording (Birth 1898-present)
- Counties kept Birth records - Deaths at state level (1920)
- Vital records from 1905 - (end date)and explain where else someone to look
- Marriages - look in the correct state
- WSMI Western State Marriage Index *BYUI now at BYU @ FHL
- James - contacted workers in the Nephi Cemetery - was given the name of the sexton in the city building - had a hand written collection Vital records*
- Marilyn -contact counties to see what records the have available - birth, death and marriages - and if they don't have a collection where to find the information.....state archives
- Maren - check for Vitals at the state archives
- Wilma - make task for all counties for Vital Records - where to find
- Jana & Patsy - wordsmith the Newspaper statement - make it come alive
- Jana and Patsy - please address this section: Using Newspapers for FH
- Joy - Photo Contest Rules and refinement
- Joy - find online icon (cloud)
- Add Icon to digital newspapers to all counties (?)
- Wilma - template for Newspapers
- Wilma - + Volunteers Chronicaling of Americn Newspapers for each county / list by town & date and within the town link to Chronicaling of America "Click the Red link"
Carried over from last March 7th =
- Don’t want long lists of anything, including libraries, unless it’s a complied list on another page
*Link to Utah Archives and Libraries page from each county
*We will use a format for gathering information. Format not yet decided.
*Pages created to link to Libraries and museums – so they can be used over and over
*Pictures of Libraries would be helpful
Meetings will be held on Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m.
Next week: March 28, 2012
- Progress reports
- List of projects listed above
*Newspapers. Specific counties need to be also mentioned in the task.
To discuss soon:
- Provide context continued
*Tip Bank continued.
*Vital records setup: making ready for items to be entered