Yakima County, Washington Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Places / Localities
The Yakama Indian Reservation is located primarily in Yakima County, with a small portion in Klickitat County.
- 1890 Veterans
Some military records for this county have been digitized at the Washington State Digital Archives.
The Yakima Valley Genealogical Society has a massive collection of obituaries starting from 1860 on, from counties in and around Yakima. They are in the process of putting this collection online. For now, contact the Society at 509-248-1328 or email@example.com. They have researchers who are willing to look things up from this collection.
- Washington Death Certificates 1907-1960 A free internet index to the 1907-1960 death certificates can be found at FamilySearch Record Search, no images are available. A transcribed death certificate may contain such information as name of the deceased, date and place of death, age, gender, birth date and birth place, mother’s maiden name and name of spouse, place of residence, occupation and certificate numbers.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Yakima Valley Genealogical Society This society as a collection of over 18,000 records and books, including a massive obituary collection starting in 1860 for areas in and around Yakima County. Local librarians are willing to help with research and will look up information from their various collections. The site contains a catalog of all their holdings. Contact them by clicking on Contact Us or calling 509-248-1328, email firstname.lastname@example.org. This Society is located at 1901 South 12th Avenue, Union Gap, Yakima, Washington 98903.
Gerald Shephard - current librarian
Sue Ericksen - Treasurer and President of the Washington State Genealogical Society
Judy Schuster - researcher
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).