Yellowstone County, Montana Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Yellowstone County Courthouse
217 N 27th Street PO Box 35001
Billings, MT 59107-5001
County Clerk Recorder has birth, death, land
and military records from 1883; Clerk District
Court has marriage, divorce, probate and court records 
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Montana, Yellowstone County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
LDS Ward and Branch Records
The Parmly Billings Library has made the following available online:
Early Billings City Directories: 1883, 1894, 1900-1901, 1903-1904
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a collection of digitized Montana newspapers online including Billings newspapers that reported on residents of Yellowstone County. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
- Parmly Billings Library: Vital Statistics from early Billings Gazettes Newspapers covering 1882-1902.
- Parmly Billings Library: Billings Gazette Indexes from 1930s and 1940s
For marriages from 1881-1903 see Western States Marriage Index.
The following is courtesy of the Parmly Billings Library Genealogical Resources:
- Vital Statistics from Early Billing Gazettes: Over 13,000 births, deaths, business licenses and other records from the early residents as recorded in this newspaper. The index is from 1882-1901 as well as additional indexes covering up to the 1930s.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Billings Montana Family History Center
- Gardiner Montana Family History Center
- Family History Library Catalog
- Montana State Historical Society
- Yellowstone County GenWeb
- Yellowstone County Genealogy Forum
- Yellowstone National Park History & Culture
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 417.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).